Saturday, August 25, 2012

Are we on the Amazing Race?

The Amazing Race is our absolute favorite show!  We haven't missed a season or an episode.  Greg and I like to think we are THAT adventersome and could enjoy and survive such a race.  Survive?  Maybe.  Enjoy?  Would that mean each other or the scenery, the different cultures, or the competition?  We've always said we would love to get on the show.  We've both filled out applications for it.  Oh, did I fail to mention that we applied for the show ---but NOT to be partners?!?!  Oh yes.  We decided long ago we would KILL each other on the show!  That's sad, I know....which is why we are thankful that we are not actually racing, nor are we being videotaped along the way! ;)  However, the video footage might make for a more interesting recording of our own version of the Amazing Race for our readers. 

Our first outing in the city, riding in a cab, Greg turned to me and said "I'm glad we watched the Amazing Race.  I can see where it has helped me."  WHAAT??  What did I miss?  I sat next to that man on the same couch for every single episode..... all I recall, is the same chaos surrounds the competitors as it is in our REAL life!!!  All I can say is,  "I'm glad it's working for you buddy.  For me?  NOT SO MUCH!"  I'm the girl that sits down and cries.  (I haven't done that yet, nor do I plan to---but everything within me WANTS to!!)  Okay.  Back to whatever survival mode switch that kicked on in his brain.  By our 3rd cab drive, my man was telling the cab driver where to turn!!!  WHOOT WHOOT!!!  My man is G-O-O-D!!!

I've started this blog twice now, and both times I get way ahead of myself.  We want to make sure we are recording special moments of our journey.  Already, we have experienced many "firsts".  Flying for the kiddos.  Flying Internationally for 3 of us.  Oh, and the airport was quite the adventure for ALL of us!  Try packing 4 people's life for 2 years into 8 suitcases!  We made it into 9 suitcases and 4 backpacks. 
It was pretty easy as long as we had Mama, Daddy and Lou there helping us lugg all of it around!  ha 
               And they're OFF!!!  
What you can't see is Amy sobbing the whole way......................
 
Finally we made it to security.  We tried prepping the kids for the chaos.  Thankfully, we have two very easy children!  Though Riley was smiling in this picture, she had just taken her hands off of her head and said "this is STRESSFUL!"  lol  Bless her.
 

We made it!!! Now time to enjoy our first flight to Chicago. The kids both got window seats so they were happy campers!
 
After a short flight and a whirlwind at the Chicago Airport, we settled in for a 15 hour flight overseas!  The plane was HUGE and full of exciting new things for all of us.  Right off we were handed a menu describing to us our meals.   
  Sure sounds yummy, don't you think?!  WOW!!!  Welcome to your new life Davidsons! Somehow I don't think any of these lines and dots spell out Diet Sunkist, Twizzlers or BACON!!!  However, at 1am we received a nice ice cream treat.  At 4 am we enjoyed a bag of caramel popcorn.  How do I know about these items in the middle of the night, you ask?  BECUASE I DID NOT SLEEP!!!!!!! 
 
Anyhow, there's so many more funny moments and pictures I could share but my blogging goal is to not write an entire novel every time I write.  However, if you are a facebook friend of mine, you may have already seen my most recent post about me not being anywhere close to reaching my word quota.  So, reader BEWARE.....I NEED TO TALK!!! lol
 
After a VERY LONG flight, puffy eyes, swollen ankles and sore bodies we landed in the UAE (8pm Thursday).  Somehow, we missed an entire day.  Though we all were completly exhausted we were excited to see our new "home".  ADEC (Amy's new employer) shuttled us to a very fancy hotel and we were on our own for 2 days!  Eeeeekkk! 
 
Needless to say, we are safe and sound, excited and terrified, exhausted and our bodies are very confused.  We are hoping to catch up on sleep and become "normal" once again.  Stay tuned for more pictures and memorable moments on our journey!   

2 comments:

  1. Loving going on your journey with you ! Thanks for all the awesome pics. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Amy. I love being able to read about all of your adventures. I too am an Amazing Race fan so doing something like this would be so much fun. Good luck to all of you. (In case your wondering who I am, I worked with your Mom at White.

    ReplyDelete