Friday, November 30, 2012

A QUICK Treasured Moment

This week has been filled with an even MORE amount of CRAZY CHAOS.  But it's allllll good!  We survived and that's all that matters! 

As you might have seen on facebook, we've been celebrating National Day at our schools.  The whole country celebrates.

Did you see the car that was all tricked out?  That's the norm.  Just slap up the faces of the 4 sheiks with some red, white, green and black paint on your car and you may just win the prize!

 
Fun times in the UAE!!!!!!!!!!!
 
 
However, that's not the point of this blog. 
 
The week before a holiday, we tend to have fewer and fewer boys show up in our classrooms.  This is especially fun for me, because I get to have special one-on-one time with the boys.  Some of the ones who I've never heard speak will actually talk to me or offer a shy smile that I've never seen. 
 
Thursday was a very special day.  It all happened so quickly that I almost didn't recognize it's significance.  But I have pondered that quick moment and my heart is full. 
 
It was 7:30 a.m. during the morning assembly.  I only had a few boys in both of my classes that day.  I was in the middle of being all "teacher-y" and everything when I found myself wondering over to talk to two of my boys.  They smiled at me with big, huge, toothy grins.  I said "Salaam alaikum" (with a big smile and the obligatory handshake).  BTW, "Salaam alaikum" means "Peace be with you".  Then to my surprise, these two little munchkins shook my hand and pulled up close to my face to give me the traditional "nose kiss".  I was taken aback for a split second and continued to smile and chat with them.
 
I got up and went to the "teacher circle" and suddenly it hit me what just happened.  Tears began to form in my eyes as I told my HOF what just happened. 
 
Now, let me back up for a moment and explain this nose kissing thing.  It's SO VERY AWKWARD to watch--- because it's special greeting between a man and another man.  It's special because it's not just meant for everyone and it doesn't seem to be used flippantly.  For them, it's a special greeting for those they dearly love.  I have also learned that fathers greet their little boys that way as well.  It's a way of showing their love for each other.  Boys also do this as a sign of respect and affection towards their Babas (father). 
 
This place of respect and affection is earned in this culture.  To be called "Teacher" is a high form of respect (where we tend to view as annoying when said 32 times by the same kid in an hour, or annoying because we think that kid hasn't cared enough to learn our name).  NOT THE CASE!  There is so much more to this cultural barrier than meets the eye (or ears).  To be called "teacher" means they respect you.  To be "nose kissed" means they love you (or at least really like you). It means, you have somehow crossed over............ over  a very thick line. 
 
I HAVE CROSSED OVER!!! at least in the hearts of these two little boys from "scary white American, Westerner teacher lady" to someone they aren't so afraid of anymore and hopefully someone they are beginning to love!  It's a HUGE moment. 
 
I need a picture to remind me of this "cross over moment" for Tuesday....... when they ALLLLL return....... and it doesn't feel so warm and fuzzy anymore.  :)

1 comment:

  1. There's a verse in Luke...."and Mary pondered these things in her heart".

    That one moment that you slowed down... God showed up in a big way.

    ReplyDelete