Monday, September 3, 2012

Week 2

Greg and I have been discussing that it is so hard to describe life here in print.  Of course, Amy always does MUCH better with facial expressions and hand gestures to get the point across.  Typing it so you can get the FULL affect....is very difficult and a tad frustrating for us ANIMATED folks!  :) But we are trying..........

We began our second week here.  Funny how things work out.  Amy's job is the one who brought us here but in my first week I worked a total of maybe 9 hours which consisted of paperwork, bank cards, Medical exams that took 3 hours, and traveling 2 hours to SEE our new home and 2 hours back  "Work" a day....OFF a day....etc. 

Yesterday began with Greg reporting to his new job as a 6th grade teacher (WOOHOO!!!!!)  and Amy going to Bedaya 2012. Amy's day included rushing to arrive at a forum that began 2 hours LATER, pastries and juices, mingling at booths.  Now let me stop here for a moment.  Normally, us teacher folk would be ECSTATIC about "teacher booths".  Let me tell you something.....when it's all in Arabic and every woman's face is slightly or completely covered so you can NOT see a friendly smile or a welcoming.......not quite as exciting.  We were then ushered into a forum being given nifty little translator radios.  My group found a seat close to the front so as to not miss the VIP's getting to sit on the "royal chairs" in the front.  Much to our dismay, we were politely asked by the ushers to kindly remove our non-Arab selves and move to another section....far, far, FAR away.  Humph....His Excellency stood up and began his presentation.......... in Arabic. Good times.  I learned lots! :) Just kidding, I got bits and pieces and learned a little about just how far this country has come and what this educational reform has done for it's country.  However, when my nifty radio was not working.....I re-wrote (in my head, of course) the presentation if I was in charge.  :)

It really is funny how the Lord works.  He knows exactly what we need, where we need to be and how to get us to the place HE wants us.  Let's be reminded....His thoughts and His ways are different than ours.  For example, the Lord has taken a very Type A speed-demon personality and placed her in the middle of .......what would be the COMPLETE opposite of Type A??  Type B ?  Nope, the Type B--laid back sort is still too close to Type A .  Let's try a TYPE ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ country!!!  Did you catch that? I think the entire country is Type ZZZZZZZZZZ  ----- I haven't seen evidence of one single Type A hop-hop personality except for a few new teachers that are wondering what in the world is going on here?!?!?!? 

Okay.  Enough of that.  Greg has now informed me that I am going to have to help him "decorate" his classroom.  WHAAAAATTT????  lol I'm really dying on the inside laughing b/c this is all just beyond funny!!!!!!!!!!!  Ummmm..... I don't DO middle school!  They scare me!  I'm thinkin'...."good luck with that Babe!"   Naaaahhh.....I will introduce him to the TEACHER STORE (squeal!!!) Somehow, I don't think he will be as delighted as me at this part of the adventure.  hur-rumph....

Ironically, Greg has already been to his school, sat through meetings, seen his curriculum, and began getting ready for the school year that starts in 5 days.  Me, on the other hand, doesn't even know where my school is, never seen it, have not even heard the word curriculum mentioned once, orrrrrrrr know what grade I am teaching!!!!!!!!!!! Yesterday, I caught wind that the lower grade teacher positions are filled.....only 3rd-5th is available. 
                     OH. DEAR. HEAVENS. 
                                 OH. DEAR. HEAVENS. 
That's about all I could say for the remainder of  yesterday.  Typing it out just now made my stomach hurt once again.

However, we are determined to be and do all that He has called us to do here.  We are asking the Lord to help us be content and to learn how to do life in this country.  We have both requested prayer requests on facebook several times.  We appreciate them more than you know.  Nothing is familiar, nor easy. 

When we tell you HOW different it is......we can't express to you enough just HOW different it really is!!!!!  To find a place to eat takes hours of thinking, searching and driving.  Shopping is complicated and overwhelming.  To purchase an electronic item last night, the purchase was finally complete after walking across the store to 3 different stations.  Getting a 3 page carbon copy "receipt" with 6 stamps.  Being told to go to another floor of the mall, to a security something or other, for 6 more stamps and 3 signatures.  This is how we purchase things in the UAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  HOLY MOLY!!!!!!!!!!

We are so thankful for the provisions the Lord has granted already. He has already shown favor on Greg with some very important people/owners of his school. He has also provided a much cheaper form of transportation for us while we are still waiting to be able to get a car. 

I would love to share more funny stories, but I have too many and they aren't as funny in print.  We have to laugh to keep from crying.  If anyone has a few extra amount of big bucks and wants to send us a care package......we have a list!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) However, we still do not have an address for you to send it to!  ha!!! 

Hope everyone is enjoying their Labor Day weekend!  We don't have that here.  Amy and the kids are about to brave the taxi and IKEA!  We have a house to furnish at a moment's notice. 



 

3 comments:

  1. Praying each and every day for your specific needs and that God reveal his wonderful, perfect infinite will to you , that everything goes smoothly and perfectly when it should happen and that the adaptation to the culture and people not only go smoother but they see a light of hope and a lifestyle that is wonderful & pleasing to Him(God) and understand & want to share this lifestyle and that it's so fun and warm that it cannot help but to be Addictive!!! AMEN.. Continually & indefinitely praying Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Amy! I could see your hand gestures and hear your squeals in that post. The people there need to experience Gods unique making of Amy Davidson! Praying for you all as He uses you to be His light in a very type zzzzz place!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belock gave me your blog. As I was walking home from walking to the pool (closed!) I was thinking that you are living an adventure. And, that I could live vicariously through you. Boy did that one post kick me in the gut about my selfishness:) So, I'll be praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete